Friday, October 7, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 142

Psalm 142

Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave.

1I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
 
2I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
 
3When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
 
4I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.
 
5I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
 
6Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.

7Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

Chapter 142

In my darkest moment, I did cry out to God (v. 1). By doing that, He helped He me out, which I was believe was an act of grace or mercy because I rebelled aginst Him by trying to do things my way and I didn't do anything to deserve His help, but He helped me out anyway. There was a time when I prayed and let Him know what was going on (v. 2), particularly because I couldn't deal with my trials on my own ans was overwhelmed (v. 3). I remember feeling overwhelmed -- like I had weight on my spirit -- and felt weak because I couldn't take care of my problems on my own, which the enemy was trying to use against me. I figure since God knew I had a lot on my eternal spirit and a lot bothering me, He used that to direct towards Him and eventually deliver me from my trials. In regards to the "the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me" part in the terms of the enemy's snares, so there's really no need to talk about it again. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 4 because I did get prayer support during my darkest moment, but verse 5 does apply because when I cried out to God, I basically acknowledged that He was my refuge and my portion. He illustrated that by protecting me from the enemy's influence and delivering me from the enemy. He did attend to my cry (v. 6), probably because when I cried out to Him, part of that implied that I had been brought low and needed to be delivered. I knew the enemy was stronger than me and that I couldn't use his false claims against me -- regarding how he thought I wasn't good enough for God -- against him. I needed to rely on God so the truth could be known: that I didn't have to be good enough for Him to be part of His kingdom. I did feel that my soul was in a prison (v. 7) and I trusted in Him to get me out of it and He did. At the end of it, I praised His name for getting me out of the prison and still do to this day. How I would relate to the "the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me" part is that those who prayed for me praised Him for His deliverance when I no longer had to deal with my trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment