Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 108

Psalm 108

A Song or Psalm of David.

1O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.
 
2Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.
 
3I will praise thee, O LORD, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.
 
4For thy mercy is great above the heavens: and thy truth reacheth unto the clouds.
 
5Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth;
 
6That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me.
 
7God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice, I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth.
 
8Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver;
 
9Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe; over Philistia will I triumph.
 
10Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?
 
11Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go forth with our hosts?
 
12Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.

 13Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies.

Chapter 108

What verse 1 means to me is that when I am fixed, when my heart is set on Him, I can truly praise Him since nothing will be able to distract or move me from that. Sometimes in church my mind does wander during worship time, but I'm not sure if that counts as not being fixed on Him. I think He Himself works in such a way so that I can be fixed on Him and not do my own thing during worship time. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 2, but I will comment on verse 3. What it means to me is that I should let others know about the good things God's done in my life, in a kind of up-to-date way. I try and do that and I'd do it more often if blessings happened in my life on a regular basis. His glory is indeed above the heavens (v. 4). What that means to me is that God's glory can't be described in words and that there's no limit to it. I am thankful for the truth He provides and that it is held high and that it won't fall down. I try to do different kinds of stuff so that God is exalted above the heavens (v. 5), as I've talked about before. If I were to connect that to verse 6, I would I relate it to my darkest moment by saying that I exalted Him above the heavens by trusting in Him, which resulted in His deliverance of me. I can kind of compare verses 7-9 to my darkest moment since God is depicted as conquering cities, which meant that dealing with the enemy was no problem for Him. Reading over those verses makes me realize how strong and powerful God is and that nothing can stop Him. It makes me wonder if He thought dealing with the enemy was child's play compared to dealing with the cities listed. But I suppose thinking of it that way might be in line with traditional theology. I'd really have to study God's character and if one thing is easier to connquer in comparison to another to get a better understanding. In terms of my darkest moment, God eventually brought to where He wanted me, which is how I relate to verse 10. And that place was a renewed, restored relationship with Him. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 11, but in my darkest moment, I knew that no man could help me (v. 12), which lead me to cry out to God for help. He did tread down the enemy (v. 13), which meant that I had victory in Christ, which I continue to praise Him for.

No comments:

Post a Comment