Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 109

Psalm 109

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
 
2For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
 
3They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause.
 
4For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.
 
5And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love.
 
6Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand.
 
7When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.
 
8Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
 
9Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
 
10Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
 
11Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour.
 
12Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children.
 
13Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
 
14Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
 
15Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
 
16Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart.
 
17As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him.
 
18As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones.
 
19Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
 
20Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD, and of them that speak evil against my soul.
 
21But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
 
22For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
 
23I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust.
 
24My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.
 
25I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads.
 
26Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy:
 
27That they may know that this is thy hand; that thou, LORD, hast done it.
 
28Let them curse, but bless thou: when they arise, let them be ashamed; but let thy servant rejoice.
 
29Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
 
30I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude.

31For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul.

Chapter 109

Matthew Henry comments on the first few verses by stating the following, "It is the unspeakable comfort of all believers, that whoever is against them, God is for them; and to him they may apply as to one pleased to concern himself for them." I'm not sure if there's been a situation in my life relating to verses 1-5, but I suppose the closest thing would be when I was made fun of when some guys found that I depended on God to get me through my darkest moment. I guess they saw that as a weakness, but that doesn't mean they were right. I've talked about it before, so there's not much reason to go into detail about it. Even those verses don't apply to that situation -- since it's hard for me to establish connections -- I will say that that passage gives me hope and that I can and should depend on God when dealing with that kind of crap. And those in the past who have made fun of me for my reliance on God in my problems, God will have vengeance upon them, which is what verses 6-7 mean to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again: vengeance belongs to God and I don't plan on taking that from Him. I'll let Him take care of that when the time comes. I 'd say what verses 6-20 illustrate to me overall is that sin has consequences, resulting from the fact that God doesn't like it when His people are insulted and treated like crap. I'm not saying that sin has consequnces to sound arrogant against those who have and who may make fun of me for my faith in Christ or whatever -- I'm saying it because God's judgment affects everyone and that one can accept Christ and end up receiving a judgement that is free of fear, agony, pain, torment, and suffering in hell. To me, hell is eternal separation from God, which I may get into at a later time.

I can relate to verse 21 by saying that God delivered me from those who made fun of me for relying on Him. I basically just let Him take care of it since they wouldn't act like adults. I guess I could apply to the whole being made fun of for my faith in Christ when the enemy was trying to get me to believe His lies. And God delivered me from that, which I asked of Him. Verses 22-26 resonate with me because I remember feeling poor and needy (v. 22) as well as gone like a shadow (v. 23) -- or that God had abandoned me. That must've been Satan deceiving me, though. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 24, but the enemy must've had feelings of reproach towards me (v. 25). Otherwise, he wouldn't have made me believe his lies. I do believe that God saved me according to His mercy (or love) as a result of His knowing that I needed help (v. 26). When it was all over, I know it was His hand that had worked in the situation (v. 27) and that no man could've saved me. Satan must've felt shame after God took take of him (v. 28). And I did rejoice when He saved me and all that. And imaging the enemy in terms of verse 29 isn't hard to do because he must've been both ashamed and confused when God was done with him. I do praise Him for all the good things He's done in my life (v. 30) and I try to do it among the multitude -- or God's people. God did stand at my right hand (v. 31) and I thankful that He'll always do that when I need Him to. I am confident that no opposition can take my soul away from Him if I call upon Him.

                                             Source used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 109". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=109>.  

No comments:

Post a Comment