Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapters 110-112

Psalm 110

A Psalm of David.

1The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
 
2The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies.
 
3Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth.
 
4The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.
 
5The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath.
 
6He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.

7He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

Psalm 111

1Praise ye the LORD. I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.
 
2The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.
 
3His work is honourable and glorious: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
 
4He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered: the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.
 
5He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.
 
6He hath shewed his people the power of his works, that he may give them the heritage of the heathen.
 
7The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
 
8They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
 
9He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Psalm 112

1Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
 
2His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
 
3Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
 
4Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
 
5A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.
 
6Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
 
7He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the LORD.
 
8His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies.
 
9He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.

10The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.

Chapter 110

I like verse 1 because it implies the vulnerability of one's enemies when God deals with them. It also illustrates God being on the throne and that His creation has no authority over Him. That applies to my darkest moment because I imagine that Satan was under God's authority, which resulted in the enemy being God's footstool. That meant, for me, that Satan left me alone and that God had me where He wanted me. I feel that verse 2 is a bit of a reference to Psalm 23, the "The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion" part. I know that God protected me during my darkest moment and He did so by using His rod or staff against the enemy. His ruling over the enemy was a very real thing because when the enemy wasn't bothering me, that meant God was ruling over him. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 3, but what verse 4 means to me is that Christ isn't just my King, but also my Priest, which is illustrated by Melchizedek. I am thankful that His priesthood will never go away. If it did, I couldn't look to Him as my Priest. "The LORD hath sworn" means to me that God set it in stone that His Son is Melchizedek. In terms of God's wrath (v. 5), it will go down as He sees fit. There will have been many dishonest kings and I'd hate to be in their shoes. Verses 6-7, to me, are a sign of what to expect of God's wrath and His victory will be known over those who have done things that He will not have approved of. I also like Henry's thought on verse 7, ". He shall be humbled; he shall drink of the brook in the way. The wrath of God, running in the curse of the law, may be considered as the brook in the way of his undertaking."

Chapter 111

Verse 1 reminds me of when I praise and worship God in church, mostly because of the, "in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation" of the part. I should examine myself to see if I do praise Him with my whole heart. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask Him. His works are great, yes (v. 2) and I do praise Him for His works, even when I'm not in church. What "sought out of all them that have pleasure therein" means to me is that I see God's work and praise Him for it, such as His freeing me from my darkest moment, His creation, His faithfulness, and His love just to name a few. I praise Him for those things as well as for other things on a constant basis, whether it be in church or in my quiet time with God. What "His work is honourable and glorious" means to me in verse 3 is that God's character is reflected in His works since He is not without honor and glory. How I would relate to the "and his righteousness endureth forever" part is that His righteousness never quits. Once I call upon Him for something, He starts working, which I find comfort in. He didn't even quite on me when working through my darkest moment, so I've expereinced His righteousness and its endurance. I suppose the aspect of verse 4 about wonderful works is pretty self-explanatory because I do sometimes find myself contemplating as a way of remembering the wonderful things He's done. His wonderful works do display His compassion, which was displayed when He freed me from my darkest moment. He knew I had been struck done and showed sympathy towards me by helping me out. Verse 5 gives me hope, knowing that He is ever mindful of His covenant. It lets me know that man might change things in an agreement whereas God won't. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 6, except for that God wouldn't be God if His works weren't revelaed in a person's life. I could go off on a tangent as to how He reveals His works in a person's life and what that means, but perhaps I'll save that for another time. I like verse 7 because it affirms me to me that His commandments are true. I can trust in Him when He wants me to do something because it'll result in something good. That isn't to say that I should I obey Him just to be blessed by Him, though. His commandements will never result on failure (v. 8), which I also find comfort in. I am thankful for God's redemption -- that is, His Son death on the cross and that I could have a covenant with God as a result. I do fear God, which I see as very much a submissive thing. And by fearing God, He has given me wisdom, which came as a result of my asking Him. I can't think of any examples at the moment, but I will at another time.

Chapter 112

Besides the obvious aspect of verse 1 that I'll be blessed if I praise God, what it also means to me is that being in awe of God is an expression of love to Him, which He will honor. I am a God-fearing man, so I try to be in awe of Him on a constant basis. What "that delighteth greatly in his commandments" means to me is that I find delight in the things He tells me to do by not complaining and by obeying Him. It's kind of another reason to express trust towards God. And I will be blessed if I follow His plan for my life, which is cool too. Verse 2 is neat -- saying that God's children will be mighty. The aspect of being mighty reminds me of having victory in Christ Jesus since Christ displayed being mighty over sin. And I can that even when God helps me to overcome small things, I do feel a sense of being mighty because He will have helped me out and stayed with me in whatever I was going through. I wasn't always sure about my algebra tests, but God gave me confidence and helped me to pass the class. I think the aspect of feeling or being mighty is what comes from the confidence that God provides when His children ask for His help and they know they can trust Him. I like the "the generation of the upright shall be blessed" part in that verse because it reminds me that following after God isn't without its blessings. Verse 3 is talking about spirtiual wealth, as Matthew Henry points out, "Blessings are laid up for the faithful and their children's children; and true riches are bestowed on them, with as much of this world's possessions as is profitable for them." I look forward to the spiritual wealth -- that is, the crowns I will receive in eternity. Verse 4 I can relate to because during my darkest moment, light did arise. I believe that the light was God taking care of the enemy and protecting me so I could eventually come back to Him and have a renewed desire to live for Him. I'd say that verse 5 is a verse I could use to examine myself, so I'm not gonna comment on it at the moment. I like the part about everlasting rememberance on verse 6 because it reminds me that God will always be there for me, especially if I stick with Him. I don't plan on leaving Him and I'd imagine He feels the same way. I will say that I try to be righteous towards Him as best as I can and God's always gonna remember my righteous acts and I look forward to how that is revealed in eternity. Verse 7, to me, means that even though evil tidings (or bad news) may come my way, I don't ever find myself being afraid of potential bad news because I know that God will use it for His glory. I usually don't think of hearing bad news when I facing situations in life, so maybe positive outlook has an influence on it as well. I like Henry's thought on verse 8, "Trusting in the Lord is the best and surest way of establishing the heart." In my darkest moment, I did trust in God, which resulted in my heart being established so I could come back to Him. And because of that, I don't have to live in fear of the enemy or what have you. I'm not sure if I could relate to the giving to the poor part in verse 9, but I do exalt God since His righteousness does endure forever. That's one of the things I praise Him for anyway. I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 10, but I find comfort in the aspect that the wicked will tremble when my horn or any other Christian's horn is exalted. If that's say that that's how God works through horns being exalted, I praise Him for the unique and wonderful ways in which He works.

                                                      Sources used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 110". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=110>. 

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 112". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=112>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment