Saturday, September 3, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 119 verses 145-160

Psalm 119:145-160

145I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD: I will keep thy statutes.
 
146I cried unto thee; save me, and I shall keep thy testimonies.
 
147I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried: I hoped in thy word.
 
148Mine eyes prevent the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.
 
149Hear my voice according unto thy lovingkindness: O LORD, quicken me according to thy judgment.
 
150They draw nigh that follow after mischief: they are far from thy law.
 
151Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
 
152Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.
 
153Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law.
 
154Plead my cause, and deliver me: quicken me according to thy word.
 
155Salvation is far from the wicked: for they seek not thy statutes.
 
156Great are thy tender mercies, O LORD: quicken me according to thy judgments.
 
157Many are my persecutors and mine enemies; yet do I not decline from thy testimonies.
 
158I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not thy word.
 
159Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.

160Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Chapter 119 verses 145-160

I see verses 145-146 as verses that relate to my darkest moment, so I think I'll talk about that. I did cry out to Him with my whole heart, which I believe was represented by the fact that I needed Him to free me and help me out. And He answered my need by freeing me and working in me so I could grow closer to Him. I didn't say to Him that I'd keep His statutes, but that was something that I did and He knew I was going to do as a result of His freeing me. Verse 146 is pretty much the same, so I'm not gonna comment on it. For clarity, here's Matthew Henry's insight on verses 147-148, "Christians who enjoy health, should not suffer the early hours of the morning to glide away unimproved. Hope in God's word encourages us to continue in prayer." I can't say I can relate to those verses, but I thought I'd provide clarity anyway. I like verse 149 because it reminds that He's always there and He will always hear my voice according to His lovingkindness. In my darkest moment, He did hear me according to His lovingkindness, which He expressed by freeing me from the enemy and protecting me from his attacks. How I would relate to the "quicken me according to thy judgment" aspect because in my darkest moment, He revived me and renewed my relationship with Him, which is what that means to me. I can't relate to verse 150 since it doesn't apply to me, but I am thankful that He's always near (v. 151) and that His commandments consist of a foundation of truth. Verse 152 reminds me that His Word was made to be eternal. I've learned from it since I was young and I never plan on quitting nor do I believe that His Word will stop enduring. Since it's eternal, it's an infallible foundation to have. All the Bibles in the world could be burned, but since God is eternal, His Word won't be forgotten from His people who have taken the time to learn and study it.

He did consider my affliction in my darkest moment (v. 153) and He did deliver me, as I've talked about before. What caused was the fact that I didn't forget His law -- more specifically, the promise that He would free me. Verse 154 rings true because during my darkest moment, He knew that I needed to be freed and that I was asking Him with the right reasons in mind. He pleaded (or defended me) in case the enemy were to attack. I can't personally relate to verse 155, but will I will say is that the wicked would be doing themselves a favor if they seeked His statutes. His tender mercies (or compassions) are great (v. 156), which He illustrated to me in my darkest moment by freeing me from the enemy's grip, protecting me, and helping me to develop a stronger walk with Him, which was more than I could've asked for and I thank Him for helping me out. I probably don't have to go into detail about the "quicken me according to thy judgments" part since I already did in verse 149. But since God blessed in my darkest moment, as I've listed, His blessings towards me reminded me that He cares about me and He'll do all that He can to keep me bound to Him. I can't say I've had many persecutors and enemies throughout my life who didn't like the fact that I was a Christian (v. 157), but in case I do, I'm not gonna stray from His testimonies because His testimonies have been tried and have endured in my life and they'll do the same in case I ever deal with the, I guess, level of enemies described in that verse. It's kinda cool how His Word gives me hope for stuff I may face later on. I can't relate to verse 158 and I guess in order for me to do, I'd have to have a similar experience to the one described in the previous verse. I haven't dealt with a group and transgressors who have grieved (or disgusted) me because they acted in a way that was rebellious to His Word. If I were to catch someone in the act of doing something that was rebellious towards Him, I'd be pretty pissed and wouldn't wanna associate with them. He knows I love His precepts (v. 159), which I express to Him by applying them to my life. I believe that at as I apply His precepts, He quickens me or gives me life as a result since I find life and how He wants me to live it in His Word. I applied the promise that He would free me from my darkest moment and He did, which resulted in me being closer to Him. I am thankful that His Word has been true from the beginning (v. 160) and that it will never lose its truth. That means to me that His Word has endured over time and continues to do so in this modern age.

                                                   Source used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 119". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=119>.

No comments:

Post a Comment