Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapters 133-134

Psalm 133

A Song of degrees of David.

1Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
 
2It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;

3As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

Psalm 134

A Song of degrees.

1Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD.
 
2Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.

3The LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion.

Chapter 133

For clarity, here's Matthew Henry's insight on the first few verses: "We cannot say too much, it were well if enough could be said, to persuade people to live together in peace. It is good for us, for our honour and comfort; and brings constant delight to those who live in unity. The pleasantness of this is likened to the holy anointing oil. This is the fruit of the Spirit, the proof of our union with Christ, and adorns his gospel." In social situations, when I'm with brothers and sisters and Christ, there is unity (in Christ) among us, which I think we display to each other by showing His love to one another. If there is an opportunity where we can show His love to others who we've never come in contact with before, we will. I think since we have that unity in Christ, our love displayed, say, towards a homeless person, would end up making an impact on that person. I like the comparison in verse 2, which is carried out in verse 3. What "It is like the precious ointment upon the head" (v. 2) means to me is that I have been anointed by Christ when I came to Him and I have unity with Him as a result of that. What "for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore" means to me is that my blessings in that I have blessings in this life and I will eternity. In terms of the latter, I've kind of talked about that in terms of seeing my kids in eternity. What I don't receive the blessings for in this life in regards to what I have done for His kingdom, I will receive them in eternity. What I'm getting at is that in Scripture, it talks about receiving crowns for what God's people have done in regards to advancing His kingdom, which I believe will vary from person to person. I'm trying to do what I can to make a difference for His kingdom and stand for Him, but not so I can receive the blessing, but rather so I show others that I know Him and want them to know Him.

Chapter 134

I'm not sure how I'd relate to verse 1, but I guess, in a way, I do minister by night (or stand in His house) by reflecting on His Word. If God's using His Word and His work through me to plant seeds and encourage other believers, that's great and I praise Him for that. I don't necessarily raise my hands in church (v. 2), but before I have talked about turning my hands towards chest as well opening up my fingers as a sign of humility and reverence towards Him. By doing things such as displaying humility and reverence towards Him, I figure He'll bless me from His dwelling place (v. 3). I don't have to worship Him only in that way in order for Him to bless me -- there's lots of ways, such as worship hosting, doing creative things for Him, and reading His Word. If He doesn't bless me for things in this time, I imagine He will in eternity.

                                                      Source used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 133". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=133>. 

No comments:

Post a Comment