Friday, September 16, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 126

Psalm 126

A Song of degrees.

1When the LORD turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.
 
2Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The LORD hath done great things for them.
 
3The LORD hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.
 
4Turn again our captivity, O LORD, as the streams in the south.
 
5They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

6He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

Chapter 126

For clarity, here's Matthew Henry's insight on the first few verses: "It is good to observe how God's deliverances of the church are for us, that we may rejoice in them. And how ought redemption from the wrath to come, from the power of sin and of Satan, to be valued!" Verses 1-3 remind me the the hard financial times my church went through a few years ago. I've touched on that before, but I thought I'd elaborate on it (again) for the sake of emphasis. One thing to note in verse 1 is Bullinger's thoughts on "turned...the capativity" or "turned the fortunes," which he elaborates on:" This does not refer to a captivity or captives, but to a restoration to blessing." With that in mind, my church's financial state was restored when enough money was put in to keep up with costs. I think when I talked about this before, I mentioned something about the elders not trusting in God, which I am including to put things in context. And to not get off of too much of a tangent, the blessing of the restoration was God continuing to work in the lives of others and God keeping the church together so that it would rely on Him during the trial. Another blessing was that those who love my church and enjoy going to Crossroads (my church) didn't have to worry about going to another church where they may have not felt welcomed. I think my church (the building aspect) is owned by the county or something and not being able to come up with the funds would've meant there wouldn't have been a place for people to go to church for the reason I've stated. When things got better, I think -- but I'm not quite sure -- everyone in my chruch praise Him for restoration that was done (v. 2). I'm not sure if anyone said that the LORD did great things, but we displayed or expressed that that by praising Him for His work. That thought is continued in verse 3 for emphasis and we did express we were glad for what He had done by praising Him. I see verse 4, so I don't have much to say about it. For clarity, here's Henry's comments on verses 5-6, "Suffering saints are often in tears; they share the calamities of human life, and commonly have a greater share than others. But they sow in tears; they do the duty of an afflicted state. Weeping must not hinder sowing; we must get good from times of affliction. And they that sow, in the tears of godly sorrow, to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting; and that will be a joyful harvest indeed." In regards to my darkest moment, I remember feeling down or despressed. I don't recall sowing in tears (v. 5), but I think the fact that I was depressed was what helped me to find joy in the Lord and come out of it with a renewed sense of joy. I don't have much to say about verse 6, but I think it's interesting how weeping can result in joy, which is something I'll have to look into some more.

                                                     Sources used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 126". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=126>. 

Bullinger, E.W. The Companion Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment