Friday, April 8, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapter 9

Psalm 9

To the chief Musician upon Muthlabben, A Psalm of David.

1I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.
 
2I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.
 
3When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence.
 
4For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right.
 
 5Thou hast rebuked the heathen, thou hast destroyed the wicked, thou hast put out their name for ever and ever.
 
6O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them.
 
7But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment.
 
8And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.
 
9The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
 
10And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
 
 11Sing praises to the LORD, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings.
 
 12When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them: he forgetteth not the cry of the humble.
 
13Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:
 
14That I may shew forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation.
 
15The heathen are sunk down in the pit that they made: in the net which they hid is their own foot taken.
 
16The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah.
 
 17The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.
 
18For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever.
 
19Arise, O LORD; let not man prevail: let the heathen be judged in thy sight.

20Put them in fear, O LORD: that the nations may know themselves to be but men. Selah.

Chapter 9

The first two verses start out as an expression of praise. I can relate because I've shared about some of the wonderful things God's done in my life thus far. He's blessed me with friends, positive influences, and artistic talent and I praise Him for those things. Matthew Henry says the following about verse 3, "The almighty power of God is that which the strongest and stoutest of his enemies are no way able to stand before." Knowing that God is more powerful than my enemies makes me realize that I can trust Him since I don't have to worry about fighting them since God deals with them. His glory's too much for 'em, I guess, and I can praise Him for doing what He feels is right. Verses 4-6 deal with God's judgment. I am reminded of the fact that God's judges one according to his or her righteousness (Psalm 7:8). In regards to verse 5, "heathen" can be translated as "nations." I don't have to say much about how God deals with oppressors, but I know that in regards to those who rebel against Him, they're basically giving God permission to destroy them since they can't have fellowship with Him and spend eternity with Him if they don't turn from their ways. The passage is in the past tense, though, so I'm assuming it's talking about a nation that God dealt with in the past and David decided to bring up to illustrate a point. I think it kinda supports verse 3, but I'm not totally sure. Verse 8 has a contrast in it and I like the aspect of God being identified as a refuge (v. 9). He's gotten me through so much and I don't think I can thank Him enough. He's helped me out in times of trouble, which is what David seems to be implying. As a result of knowing His name, one can trust in Him (v. 10). To me, that means that when I think of God and the names associated with Him, faithfulness comes to mind and I know that if I trust in Him, He won't fail me. He will never forsake either. I think God doesn't forsake His followers because it's against to do so. If He did that, He wouldn't be God. Verse 11 is basically another praise verse. "Declare among the people his doings" means that His followers will tell of the great things He's done. I guess that means I'll be part of that if I'm not already. Those who have faced pain (v. 12), God remembers. I've pain before, such as when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, and God was with me during that time. He knew I was afflicted and I needed Him. He's even with me when I face enemies (v. 13) and He will keep me from death. I can rejoice in God's salvation or deliverance (v. 14) for His deliverance from pain. I'd rather be in a kind of Zion of heaven instead of a place where there is no eternity with God. Since those verses go together, I can see the importance of being delivered from my enemies, particularly those that cause me to suffer. Verses 15-17 pretty much speak for themselves and I can't really relate to 'em. Kind of the fate of the wicked being reiterated, I guess. God comforts the poor and the needy (v. 18). I can't say I've experienced being poor and needy, but I know that if I was, God would comfort me and reveal to me that being poor doesn't mean that life is meaningless. I am reminded that no man is greater than God in verses 19-20. I don't have to serve or worship man due to that truth alone.

                                                                   Source used:

"Matthew Henry Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible: Psalms 9." http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=009

No comments:

Post a Comment