Monday, April 25, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapters 29-30

Psalm 29

A Psalm of David.

1Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength.
 
2Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
 
3The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters.
 
4The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is full of majesty.
 
5The voice of the LORD breaketh the cedars; yea, the LORD breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
 
6He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
 
7The voice of the LORD divideth the flames of fire.
 
8The voice of the LORD shaketh the wilderness; the LORD shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
 
9The voice of the LORD maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
 
10The LORD sitteth upon the flood; yea, the LORD sitteth King for ever.

11The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.

Psalm 30

A Psalm and Song at the dedication of the house of David.

1I will extol thee, O LORD; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.
 
2O LORD my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.
 
3O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.
 
4Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.
 
5For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
 
6And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.
 
7LORD, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.
 
8I cried to thee, O LORD; and unto the LORD I made supplication.
 
9What profit is there in my blood, when I go down to the pit? Shall the dust praise thee? shall it declare thy truth?
 
10Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me: LORD, be thou my helper.
 
11Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness;

12To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

Chapter 29

I like how this psalm starts off, especially because it reminds me of the fact that God is to be revered. What's interesting about the phrase "the beauty of holiness" is that it can be translated "His glorious Sanctuary." I think verses 3-9 put into perspective the fact that when I hear His voice it isn't something I should ignore nor is it something I should take for granted. Since His voice is something that I try to pay attention to, I know that doing so with result in me knowing in what I can do to advance His Kingdom. Although hearing from God does not always means listening for His voice, I should still be aware of when He speaks through people so I can take action to do something great for Him. I think since God's voice is as powerful as described in the verses, it gives me confidence in knowing that He's not gonna foll around with me. His voice also affects His creation, which is illustrated throughout the passage. I praise Him for the fact that nothing is more worth paying attention to than His voice and His authority over me. He may something to me and it's an expression of love to Him if I respond in the right way, which means typically doing something for His Kingdom. I feel like He has called me to go on a short-term missions trip to Mexico this year and I think Him for the fact that His voice was clear and wasn't hindered by His creation. I guess His voice is so powerful that nothing can hinder it. I figure He knows when His people are in the best position to hear His voice and He says to 'em what He needs to say to 'em at the time in which they are free from any distractions. I think that if He wasn't an eternal King (v.10), then I wouldn't to have a relationship with Him. If He could only live till a certain time, then I wouldn't be able to have communication with Him as I do. He's been there since the beginning and I like the fact that He's never gonna perish since He isn't of the flesh. God gives me strength when I ask Him and I'd say that it's great thing to be at peace with Him (v. 11). If I wasn't at peace with Him, I don't think I'd get along with Him very well.

Chapter 30

God's helped me out before (v. 1-2), like that time where I gave into the enemy's lies. He helped me to live a hell on earth-type experience (v. 3) by taking me at my dakest moment, my hell and delivering from it and I thank Him for that. I talked about it in previous entries and I don't feel I need to talk about it here. I try and remember God and His holiness for the things He's done in my life (v. 4). Sometimes I dwell on my own thoughts but I guess it's better to focus on God and what He has done in my life. I'm glad that God's anger isn't something that He draws out among His people (v. 5) because people like me have probably done things that would've pissed Him off for a long time. I'm thankful for His grace and mercy, though, and the fact that His favor outweighs His anger. I also think that the fact that I find joy in Christ outweighs any sadness I may have to deal with. I can trust that with God, I will never be moved or shaken or in danger of any sort (v. 6). I like the mountain aspect of verse 7, especially because if I have a strong foundation, I'm not gonna lose. That's kinda I feel about my walk -- it's strong and enduring and God doesn't want me to give up. When I felt that God hid His face from me during that time in which I gave into the enemy's lies (v. 7), I called out to Him (v. 8) and told Him that I needed His help and His mercy. Matthew Henry states the following about verse 9, "The sanctified spirit, which returns to God, shall praise him, shall be still praising him; but the services of God's house cannot be performed by the dust; it cannot praise him; there is none of that device or working in the grave, for it is the land of silence." I returned to God after the trial I faced and after reading what Henry had to say about the verse, I think it's cool that nothing that is in the grave can praise Him. I never really looked at it that way, I guess. God helps me out when I need it (v. 10) and He has done great things in my life that I have praised Him for (v. 11). He's taught from His Word, for example, and I don't think I can thank Him enought for enough because His Word has helped me out in times of trouble. I praise Him pretty much every day, even for the fact that I can breathe and see, and I will never stop praising Him.

                                                    Source used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 30". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary
on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=030>.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment