Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapters 15-16

Psalm 15

A Psalm of David.

1Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
 
2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
 
3He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
 
4In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
 
5He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

 

Psalm 16


Michtam of David.

1Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
 
2O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
 
3But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
 
4Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.
 
5The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.
 
6The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
 
7I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
 
8I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
 
9Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
 
10For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

11Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Chapter 15

In this chapter, David starts out by asking who dwells in God's tent or tabernacle. So in a way, he's referring to the Kingdom and its relationship -- or, should I say -- connection with God. In verses 2-3, David lists the people the people that fit into the particular description. I can say that verse 2 resonates with me because I seem myself as someone whose Christian walk is upright or without blame. When I serve God, I try to do so in a way that reflects righteousness and in way that I can be honest or truthful to Him as well as others. When I serve in my church, if I am told to do something, I'll try to honor that request as best I can. In verses 4-5, David continues to list those who dwell in God's tabernacle. I think those verses pretty much speak for themselves and I don't have much to say about them reflection-wise.

Chapter 16

Matthew Henry comments on this chapter by saying, "David flees to God's protection, with cheerful, believing confidence. Those who have avowed that the Lord is their Lord, should often put themselves in mind of what they have done, take the comfort of it, and live up to it. He devotes himself to the honour of God, in the service of the saints. Saints on earth we must be, or we shall never be saints in heaven." I myself flee to God's protection when I need it and I know He's gonna protect me. I try to be a saint as best I can on earth and I know that God helps me out with it. I mess up sometimes while trying to maintain sainthood -- that is, Christ's dwelling in me -- in how I convey that to people. I may not always act Christlike, but I have my good and bad days and God knows when I will and when I won't act Christlike. I do not look to another god for guidance (v. 4) because the one true God, Jehovah God, is the God I trust in and I can't accept anything less. God is all I need (v. 5), which means that nothing can take His place. God is essentially my heritage (v.6) and knowing that, I feel like I have I can't lose if He's my heritage. After finding out that Psalm 16 is a messianic psalm, I kinda see the inheritance/hetitage thing as a bond to Christ Jesus since I'm a bride of Christ. I feel that I should thank God for His guidance in direction in my life (v. 7) since I don't seem to do it enough. I depend on God, though, for guidance and direction since His guidance and direction is the best (v.8). I rejoice when God takes me to where He wants me to be (v. 9) and I know that He won't take me to hell (v. 10). Verse 10 also seems to deal with fulfillment in the life of Christ because if I trust in Him, He's not gonna turn against me and cause me to live a crappy life whereas trusting in man might. If I stick to the path, I can find joy in His presence as well as eternity with Him (v. 11).

I just thought I'd reflect on Psalm 16 as I saw it. I especially like verses 7-11 and how they illustrate staying on the path.

                                                                Source used:

Henry, Matthew. "Concise Commentary on Psalms 16". "Matthew Henry Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible". <http://www.searchgodsword.org/com/mhc-con/view.cgi?book=ps&chapter=016>.  

No comments:

Post a Comment