Saturday, April 16, 2011

Reflecting on the Psalms: Chapters 19-20

Psalm 19

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
 
2Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
 
3There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
 
 4Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
 
5Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
 
6His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
 
7The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
 
8The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
 
9The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
 
10More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
 
11Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
 
12Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
 
13Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

14Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psalm 20

To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee;
 
2Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;
 
3Remember all thy offerings, and accept thy burnt sacrifice; Selah.
 
4Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfil all thy counsel.
 
5We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions.
 
6Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand.
 
7Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
 
8They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright.

9Save, LORD: let the king hear us when we call.

Chapter 19

David starts out by starting that the heavens -- or the universe -- declare God's glory. I think it's kinda neat how the chapter starts out by saying God's own creation is a reflection of who He is. I'd say that His work in my life a reflection of His faithfulness as well as His glory. It's as if the heavens are a reflection of those who trust in Him talk about Him daily and share knowledge and wisdom with each other (v. 2). To me, that means that those who love God will never stop talking about how good He is nor will they stop sharing the wisdom He's given them. It's in God's character to give people wisdom if they ask Him for it (James 1:5). God knows the language of every person who talks to Him (v. 3), which I think is really neat because it illustrates that God doesn't favor an English-speaking person over a French-speaking one or a Spanish-speaking person over a Japanese-speaking one. I can praise God sense He understands all languages and is able to help whoever cries out to Him. I think that is a reflection of the heavens as well because since the heavens declare His glory, there is no part of the heavens that don't. Verse 4 kind of continues the thought of verse 3 since it's basically saying that the voice of the heavens goes all over and is not limited by the earth. I think that verse pretty much speaks for itself. The tabernacle aspect of verse 4 and it's continuation in verse 5 is kinda neat. I like the comparison to the bridegroom and how it imples a sense of protection and how God's creating a tabernacle is like an aspect of security for those who need it. Verse 6 is talking about the sun and, I guess, the movement it goes through. What stands out to me about that verse is where is says, "and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof." To me, that means that not only does the sun provide heat, but it also means that one can't hide from God. Verses 7-8 are talking about God's Word or His law. I like the process that verse 7 describes -- going from converting the soul to making wise the simple. God's Word has had that kind of an impact on my life and I think God for that. His precepts or statues can be trusted (v. 8) and His commandments give light and insight to me since they provide guidance and direction. I  also thankful that being in reverence of Him will last for eternity (v. 9) and that I can trust His judgments. It's as if His judgments have can have value placed on them (v. 10), which I think is a good thing because they're better than any material thing. God will reward me with a great reward, which I'm really looking forward to due to serving Him faithfully. (v. 11). I don't think about the eternal rewards for being a worship host that much, but I think verse 11 was a good reminder regardless. I can ask God to cleanse me from hidden faults if I am dealing with any (v. 12), which I think takes a load off my shoulders and I don't feel like I have to live with a sin that He frowns upon. If God keeps me from sins I do intend to do, I will be upright or blameless to Him (v. 13). I like that because it's a strong truth about how God can work in my life as a result of not going out with sinful things in mind. Not that I have those things in mind -- I'm just saying. My words are not always pleasing to God (v. 14), but I can ask Him to help me out so they are, like David did.

Chapter 20

God's helped me out in times of trouble, like that one time when I gave into Satan's lies (v. 1). He was a source of strength, or defense, for me. He even came to help me out (v. 2). I didn't have to make burnt offerings to Him (Hosea 6:6), so verse 3 doesn't really apply here. He gave me what my needed in that situation (v. 4), which was deliverance from the evil one. I wasn't delivered from it in one day, though; it took a while. God knew I was gonna have victory over Satan by trusting in Him. I am thankful that God helped to achieve victory in that situation (v. 5) and I like praising Him for the fact that He's been there more than once for me to honor my requests. Verse 6 seems to be talking about Jesus, or His Anointed. He saved Jesus by answering His prayers while He prayed to God while He was on the cross. He even saved Jesus by having Him resurrect on the third day. Since Jesus came back to life, I kinda see that as an event that saved Him from dying. If He died and never resurrected, then He would not be around to continue to save people. It's kinda like God helped Jesus out so Jesus could save people from living in sin. Since I trust in God and not chariots and horses, I don't have to worry about falling down (v. 8-9). God makes sure I stand firm even if trusting Him is hard to do. When God heard me when I cried out to Him when I gave into Satan's lies, He began working in that situation and He knew I wasn't calling upon Him just to mess around with Him. He knew it was something serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment